WHAT DO SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGERS DO?
Social media managers are the voice of companies on social and digital media sites like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Four Square, Instagram, etc. Ever liked a company on Facebook? That account is managed by a social media manager like Mighty Shalom.
A social media manager can create and maintain new marketing campaigns, brand promotions or product lines for their company on different sites, monitor progress using web analytic tools, and answer directly to social media inquiries, all while using the company’s voice and guidelines.
A social media manager is continuously generating content for the company, creating new ideas, pictures and campaigns, and measuring how effective those ideas are.
- Writing: Social media managers will need to know how to write effective copy in a lot of different styles, for websites, twitter, Facebook, etc. Knowledge of writing for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is also needed.
- Research: Social media managers need to know what is happening in the fast changing world of social and digital media, what competitors are doing and what new measurement tools are being use.
- Problem-Solving: Social media managers figure out how to best communicate a company’s message on different platforms, and sometimes might need to convey sensitive issues or deal with angry customers.
- Organization: There are many different platforms, and new ones are being developed all the time. How you communicate on each, determining audience, and measuring tactics all take organization.
- Interpersonal Skills: Even through writing, social media managers are a direct connection between a company and the public. Being friendly and approachable online will help.
- Technical Skills: Social media managers work almost exclusively through computers. Understanding computers, SEO, internet access and being tech savvy is necessary.